Friday, October 16, 2009

2010 Options

Hello everyone,

So the Brewers have two options to decide on for 2010. A $3.7 million club option for reliever David Weathers ($400k buyout), and a $6.5 million mutual option with starter Braden Looper ($1m buyout).

Weathers-Weathers owns a 4.25 career ERA in approximately 59 seasons in the big leagues. Over the last 5 years or so Weathers has be good for a 3.2-3.9 ERA with 62-77 IP. After a trade from the Reds last year Weathers did not impress in Milwaukee, with a 4.88 in 24ip, with 11bb and only 10k. These aren't very Weathers like numbers, and we should see those settle back near 4. I think the Brewers should pick this one up. I guess GM Doug Melvin will have a better read on the free agent market, but I like having another experience arm in the 'pen, and other than Hoffman, Brewers are a bit thin on experience. Barring some sort of trade or FA signing, I think that this would be the right choice. I will admit this is a bit controversial, and I really have no idea what Melvin will do.

Looper-I have seen so many differing opinions on this one. The first thing I read about it stated that "of course" the Brewers would pick up this option... I was like "Really? Of Course?" The real funny part is the second thing I read said there was "no way" the Brewers should grab this. At first I supported this one, like I supported the original Looper deal, but the front office has said that it wants to go after 2 arms this off season, that means two arms have to go, and Looper is at the top of that list (let's be serious Suppan isn't going anywhere). Maybe after his knee surgery he wouldn't give up the most homers in the MLB again, but still, he's probably going to run near a ERA of 5, and for the raise to 6.5m I'm against it. Hopefully we can get somebody like Washburn for less, or a Sheets like guy on an incentive laden deal. I wouldn't be shocked if this was picked up, we were sorely lacking on pitchers this year, but I think it'd be a waste of money, and we may as well roll our dice on somebody else than on another year of 30+ HR allowed. If the Crew does pick this up, I don't see Looper turning down his half of the deal. Even with a thin SP free agent market, after a poor season I just don't see Braden getting more than 4-5 again. We'll be on the hook for a $1 million buy out.

It for now, Arb talk still pending.
Have fun with the start of the ALCS. Brew Up.

No comments:

Post a Comment