Sunday, July 19, 2009

Old post, sorry, Felipe Lopez

So, I wrote this up right before the All-Star brake, but my computer became stupid and I couldn't put it up. Sorry for the delay. Congrats to Fielder for winning the HR derby, very fun. It got pretty annoying though how much the announcers talked about Pujols... who didn't win the derby... We get it, he's one of the best hitters ever... but Fielder won the derby, talk about him for a while... Anyway, here you go.

On second thought, it won't let me copy/paste things into the browser. Boo.

Just got the news through the wire that the Brew Crew has acquired utility man/2nd baseman Felipe Lopez from the Diamondbacks. Lopez is a switch hitter that does well from both sides of the plate. Only a .265 career hitter, Lopez is currently hitting .301 with 6 hr. His average has been lower and lower each month this season, but we should still expect a good .280ish from him. Not a lot of power, but does have decent speed, stealing 44 bases in one season a couple of years ago. Should be interesting to see where he slots into the lineup, I'm going to guess at lead off with his speed, decent OBP, and the fact that he should be in the line up everyday.

What did we give up for him? Single A pitcher Rogue Mercedes, who if you recall and have been a good reader I discussed in my section about A ball bullpen. In around 29 games this year Mercedes owns an ERA in the low 1's. Also, AAA outfield Cole Gillepsie. I'm a little surprised to see Gillepsie get moved, as at one time he was a decent prospect. However, upon looking at his numbers this year they are very much mediocre. Not a good average, 7hr... maybe one of those AAAA players who a change of scenery may benefit. Also, outfielders are one of the Brewers' organizational depths, with Hart and Braun entrenched in the corners, and guys like Lorenzo Cain and Cutter Dykstra looking pretty sharp in center for AAA and A ball respectively.

Thats it for now. I've found myself in a bit of a funk lately and either very busy or very lazy. I'll try to get going on more things, especially with the trade deadline approaching (July 31).

Brew Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment