Friday, May 29, 2009

Intro, Recent Notes

Hey Everybody!

I'm staying in DC for the summer and am quite bored, I also have been missing the Brewers. To make up for this I decided to spend some time on this blog.

On it I'm going to conjecture and discuss mostly things like roster moves, the minor leagues, trades and acquisitions. I'm also of course going to talk about the team today. Unfortunately I don't have television so I can't watch any games, but I'll do my best to listen to Uke and read up on what's going down. Here it goes!

The Pitching issues today.
Starters:
Yes, I know, plus 5 eras from both Parra and Suppan are unexceptable. Realistically I don't think that they're goint to stay that way. Parra will get better, he's shown what he can do. I don't really think he's an ace in the making, or even maybe a #2 starter, but I really expect something more along the lines of a 4.5. Numbers to think about: This year Parra has only allowed one homer/10.1 ip, best amongst the teams starters. WP are down from last year, GO/AO ratio is still good. BAA against is exactly the same as last years. Walks are up. My conclusion is that he's being too fine, and missing off the plate, which is better than over it. Suppan is more of a mystery. I do think that his numbers will come down, but I truely doubt under a 5. I don't even feel like looking up the numbers on him.
Bullpen:
It's been good overall. If anything I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Villanueva and Stetter continue to get stronger as the season goes. Julio is passable, and everybody else is contributing nicely. I don't think I even need to comment on how great Hoffman has been...
Peavy:
Really? No, not really. While I probably would have said the same thing when CC rumors were popping up I don't see this happening. Moreover, I really don't want it to happen. I'm against dedicating that much of the payroll to one player (yes I was opposed to signing Sabathia longterm). What the Padres are sure to be asking for would rock our already depleted minor league pitching depth. I think that our team is pitching decently enough as is, except for Parra and Soup, who I expect to improve.

Baserunning:
I agree with the mentality that teams that hit the longball should do everything they can to avoid outs on the basepaths. However, what the Crew is currently doing is somewhat confusing. As can be seen in the recent losses, when we don't hit the long ball we lose. That's the thing with homers, they're kinda unpredictable. I don't understand why our CS ratio is so crazy high this year, all of the guys coming into the season had great numbers. Because of this awful rate we have been running even less. I say run more, let the guys go, I don't think any of them were ever stupid on the basepaths, just let them have at it.

Macha:
Except for what could be called the questionable base running strategies currently in effect I like Macha a lot. My only real issue has come up recently. Part of this is not his fault as he is just making due with what he has, but I don't like Counsell at the top of the lineup, and I'm sick of seeing Billy Hall whiff again and again. Lets give Gamel a go, he'll hit.



Ok, not too bad for my first shot. I didn't really feel like going over the hitters, because they are what they are. I'll briefly mention the perturbing whiffs of Hart, and the lack of the homer from Prince and Braun. HR's will come I'm sure.

More later, I'd like to get in depth on where I see the team in a couple of years, talking prospects mostly.

Take it easy, and Brew Up.

No comments:

Post a Comment